Saturday, November 19, 2011

Medicine Road

Tanya Barragan
Scott Lankford
English 48A
Medicine Road
11/22/2011




AUTHOR’S QUOTE

Lyrics from Mother Earth from
Medicine Road

“Water from the drain
Over flowing from the rain
Dropping rainbow crystals
Blinding to my eye

Dropping one by one
Just a reflection of the sun
As a beam burst through the clouds above the sky
Oh I see it too

Keep taking until there’s nothing left to give
Mother Earth can take away our rights to live”




INTERNET QUOTE

What makes this band so special is the spirit. The spirit can not be recorded the traditional way of record making, because this band has to be enjoyed LIVE! That is the best way to get the sense of what they are trying to give the listener. For some reason the same spirit is not captured on a recording, because the energy has to have an audience to create the ambience that can only come from the band and audience participation. The result, pure energy.”






SUMMARY

Medicine Road is a spiritual group that has been together 4-5 years. Pablo Eagle is the singer, Tom plays the guitar, Skippy-Shredder plays the bass and Dave/David plays the drums and does additional singing. The group has many spiritual songs ranging from jazz, rock and the blues and each song has a meaning behind it. One of there well known songs is, “Mother Earth” that has a great tone and melody to it. All their songs have a great beat and grab you in because of the spirituality behind the words. The main singer Pablo Eagle is of Mayan descent and writes the music.









YOUR IDEAS/REACTIONS/RESPONSES TO THE AUTHOR’S IDEAS

After watching Medicine Road play live, there were a few ideas that I got from their music. The first idea that came to me was that their music was very spiritual and that they made sure the audience, whoever they may be, can see and feel it. But I also got that their music also had a point and a meaning to it and that was important for the audience to understand also. I honestly reacted to their music as really good. I wasn’t sure what there music was about; I was intrigued and liked it very much. I also really thought that they did a good job at trying to bring the audience in and speak to them, to give them an understanding of what they were all about and their music. I like that they did that and felt them and cheered them on.

I didn’t have a chance to interview Medicine Road but I listened to all their music that they played and took many notes from their music and listen to them on you tube. There is much to be said about what I think the group Medicine Road ideas were all about in their music. The quote or lyric that I chose to write about is something that I really could feel in my soul and that’s why I chose it. To me the lyric from “Mother Earth” came from a sadness from a world a land and peacefulness that isn’t there anymore. I got that they were saying that they could feel and see it but once knew something that was more beautiful and it had been taken away. But there was more to it, it was like they were saying we are the ones destroying and taking the world or land for granted and it can be taken away from us at any moment.


The internet quote gives a great example of what this group is all about; actually before I even found it, I felt exactly what Pablo Eagle was saying in the quote and was right on the dot about what I felt about their music. It does come from spirit and seeing them perform in person, is the best way you can get what they are saying; you can feel it as to watching it on youtube. I think that they were a great group and I liked and enjoyed their music. Thank you for that Scott!

























 



No comments:

Post a Comment